The following is a Q&A with Katherine Le.
- Tell us a little bit about yourself, who are you?
My name is Katherine Le and I collect, sell, and design fine jewelry
- How did you get into Jewelry design?
My love for jewelry lies in the help of my mother; raised as a Colonel’s daughter, she had the opportunity to explore gemstones at a very young age and a passion for fine jewelry was born with her and passed on to me.
- What made you start Ava Le?
I am a firm believer that you do not need a prince charming in order to have fine jewelry and that if you have a passion you must pursue it.
- Why Ava Le? What was your inspiration for your company’s name?
Ava Le is my daughters’ name. My daughter and fine jewelry are my two greatest passions and as such I believe that it is only right they share my love.
- Tell us so we can shop…what stores or website carry your jewelry and what stores do you hope to be in, in the future?
My jewelry is available for sale at my online store Ava-Le.com. I hope to one day be in Saks, Nordstroms, and Neiman Marcus.
- Who is your ideal customer?
My ideal customer is the woman who has a passion (and knowledge) for fine jewelry and understands the value in owning it.
- What do you love about owning your own business?
I love the artistic freedom that comes from owning your own business. I decide the direction of my company and there is no one that can tell me otherwise. Also not having to call in sick when I want a day off is nice too.
- What is the most challenging part about running your own business?
The most difficult part about running my own business is that I am 110% responsible (and liable) for everything that goes on in my business. This is the greatest blessing and curse of having your own business. If you succeed, it’s because you made it happen, but if you fail…You also made that happen.
- What is your inspiration for your designs?
My inspiration comes from various places. It can be anything from a great design that I see in vogue that I think can be improved or something as simple as a $5 piece of junk jewelry at Harwin.
- What is your favorite gemstone?
My favorite gemstone is Emerald. Green is my favorite color so it goes without saying that a green gemstone would be my favorite.
- How do you think women should wear fine jewelry today?
I think the greatest part about fine jewelry is that it is beautiful no matter what you are wearing. You can be bumming around in your sweats and t-shirt but if you have a fantastic piece of jewelry on you instantly become adorable. To answer your question though I believe women should wear their jewelry however they feel they should. There is really no wrong way to wear it.
- How would you define “fine” jewelry?
“Fine” jewelry is a timeless piece that does not follow the ordinary rules of things being “dated”. Fine jewelry is never outdated. A piece from 1950 can be just as beautiful (if not more) than a piece made in 2012.
- What is it about fine jewelry that you enjoy so much?
I enjoy the fact that you can use varying pieces with the same outfit and it completely changes your look. You can be Audrey Hepburn one moment and Halle Berry the next. It’s the fact that you can take your wardrobe to the next level of beautiful by adding a great piece of jewelry.
- What is your favorite piece of jewelry to wear?
I would have to say that my favorite piece is the jade heart earrings surrounded with floral shape diamonds featured with my pic of myself on the website
- Do you have any extra special favorite pieces?
My extra special piece is my weeding ring which is 16ct emerald cut diamond.
- If you had to describe yourself as a gemstone, which gem would you be? Why?
I would certainly be an Emerald. Like I said earlier I love the color green. Emerald also carries a strength to it that is not found in all gemstones. This “strength” is why I can relate to this stone and I feel that it matches my personality as a strong independent woman business owner.
- How would you describe Ava Le Jewelry in a few words?
Trendy Elegance in fine jewelry.